BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Mar 11, 2010

THE UK CHART


I'm always looking for new music and that task can be overwhelming at times because there are sooooo many places to look. One stop that I always make however is the current UK Top 100 Singles Chart.


I think most would agree that Europe's musical taste is quite different then America's. Sure top U.S. hits like Owl City's "Fireflies" make the chart, but the UK list has far less bubble gum corporate crap. Instead you'll find a much more diverse chart that contains a lot of really cool electronic pop/rock material.

I scan the artists, write down the ones I don't know and then head to their MySpace music page. If I like what I hear, I'll pop over to iTunes or a similar service and buy the music. If the majority of the tracks sound good, I'll hop over to Amazon (U.S. or UK) and pick up the album.

Over the years, I've discovered many artists on the UK Chart including Calvin Harris, Florence + the Machine, La Roux, Frankmusik and English electropop sensation Little Boots.


Anytime a new artist strikes me, I always check to see if they are on tour and note their LA date. Last night, Little Boots stopped by The El Rey theater with her flashy costumes and laser light show. Vocally, she wasn't as strong live, but the thing that struck me was how full the venue was. It was packed and Little Boots, to my knowledge has never been played on commercial LA radio and has never landed on the Billboard chart.

Looks like others are searching for new music too, which is great for all musicians!

P.S. The opening act Dragonette was cool too, so the UK Chart is like the gift that keeps on giving :)

0 comments: