BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Apr 1, 2011

Grey's Anatomy: The Musical Event, Falls Short

I'm a huge Grey's Anatomy fan and when I heard they were doing a musical event I was psyched. I imagined an episode where dramatic events filled our screen and perfectly placed songs provided the dialog. Obvious thought right, this was the show that used music (The Fray, Bryn Christopher, Metric, Adele) better than any other production on TV. Boy was I wrong.

When I finished watching last night the only two words that came to mind were corny and disappointed. I was laughing as Dr. Hunt, Dr. Torres and crew sang their way "dramatically" through the show. I appreciate shows taking chances, but Grey's isn't Glee. In the latest Entertainment Weekly creator-executive producer Shonda Rhimes described herself as a "musical-theater geek," which is fine, but she should have kept that part of her life out of my favorite show. It's so disappointing because the storyline of the episode (Callie's accident) was so great and it got ruined by the song and dance. We couldn't even enjoy Addison Montgomery's return to Seattle Grace because the singing was so distracting. I hope they never do another episode like that again and I know when I buy Season Seven on DVD I will defiantly skip over that episode. Too bad because season seven was quickly becoming one of my favorite season's of all time.

0 comments: