BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

May 13, 2010

ALBUM PREVIEW (sort of) : KIMBERLY CALDWELL


If the name Kimberly Caldwell sounds familiar, but you're not sure why, rewind back to season two of American Idol. Caldwell was the blonde Texas beauty with the raspy voice who sang the hell out of Melissa Etheridge songs. She placed seventh that year on Idol and has seemed to do more television work than music since then. However, that will change with the release of her debut album Without Regret.

Originally slated for an April release, Without Regret has been pushed to summer so additional songs could be added. I have a copy of Without Regret, just not sure how many of the songs will make the final album. Regardless, I thought I'd share my thoughts on take one of Caldwell's debut.



It doesn't surprise me that they want to add new material as the album never establishes a musical flow or consistency. It's a roller coaster that starts out rock'n with "Heart Like Mine" takes an electro-pop turn with "Going Going Gone" and picks up soulful speed with "If You're Gonna Fall." The rest of the work is middle of the road rock 'n' roll.

Vocally Caldwell's strong, sounding a lot like P!nk. She brings it on "Say Love" and the Etheridge cover "Sleep While I Drive." Some songs were written by Caldwell, but Without Regret also showcases some of song writings biggest hitters with the Diane Warren penned "Cost of Love" and Karen DioGuardi/Chad Kroger's "Heart Like Mine."

I think Caldwell fans would be pleased with the effort, but Without Regret does not boast a jump-off-the-page radio hit so the majority of people may never even know the album exists. However, that could all change with the addition of a song or two. I know I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I remember being blown away by her Idol Austin audition.

TBC.......

0 comments: